The Daily Telegraph has voted Suffolk ‘Best Region’ for Food, saying
“Suffolk is a county where, if you only scrape the surface, you will find enough food to fill you to your ears. Villages still have small butcheries; roadside honesty box sales of honey, eggs, vegetables are typical; and fishermen sell their catch from beach huts. The richness of Suffolk is not an accident. Locals are loyal to their independent shops and have fought to keep the superstores out.”
Yes, there is a fantastic array of local produce hereabouts, which makes food shopping a pleasure not a chore!
As well as a large and useful Co-Operative Food Store, Halesworth (2 miles) has
- 2 excellent Butchers between them selling locally-produced meat, game birds, venison, wild boar & home made pies
- a renowned Organic /Health food shop offering delicious breads & cakes and smoked cold meats
- a Delicatessen specialising in cheeses + bread, as well as locally-produced salami
- 2 greengrocers that stock seasonal local produce as well as the everyday
- a Wednesday outdoor market: stalls sell vegetables, fruit and fresh fish
On top of that, all the surrounding market towns – Bungay, Beccles, Southwold – have great delis and butchers and there is a monthly Produce Market in Halesworth and numerous other Farmer’s Markets and Farm Shops in the vicinity for example, Middleton Farm Shop now bakes its own bread using local flour and the region’s only commercial wood-fired oven.
There’s also a great choice of local Brewery Tours – Adnams & St Peter’s, not to mention Vineyards – there’s Valley Farm , Giffords Hall, Shawsgate, Fint Vineyards, all within easy distance and where delicious and on-trend English wines can be purchased. Distilleries are now on the radar too such as Adnams Gin and the English Whisky Company.
Several local food festivals spring up during the year, including but not only:-
- June – Flavours of Suffolk, Henham Park
- September – nationally acclaimed Aldeburgh Food Festival at Snape
- October – Waveney Valley Food & Drink, Bungay
- December – Christmas Produce Market, Halesworth
Fresh fish can be bought straight off the boats at Southwold Harbour. Loads more detailed information is available in the properties.
So forget that supermarket delivery and have fun buying local!